- Air-frying makes crisper fries than the oven, and it is much easier than deep-frying.
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- Do not overload the basket with ingredients and do not toss them half way through cooking.
- Visit Insider’s Home & Kitchen Reference library for more stories.
Frozen French fries are an easy snack option and a crowd pleaser. Frozen french fries are ready to go. All you need to do is heat them up from the freezer.
The oven and even the microwave can be used.
There’s an easier way: the air fryer. The air fryer is a great option for heating frozen french fries.
- Crispier results: “You’ll get crispier results than baking fries thanks to the convection,” says Breville product expert, Karen Diep.
- Frying requires less oil and more mess than frying.Many frozen fry brands have instructions for deep-frying. It guarantees crispiness but can also make a mess and require a lot more oil. “Air frying is a great alternative to getting crispier fries without the excessive fat that comes with deep frying,” says Diep.
- Faster than the ovenDiep points out the fact that air frying can be faster than baking and takes a third of the cooking time.
Time to cook different kinds of frozen french fries
Many frozen french fries brands include instructions for airfrying right on the bag. “I would recommend using the instructions indicated on the package as the manufacturer will have developed and tested the product many times,” says Diep.
The cook time for fries that don’t have instructions will vary depending on how thick they are. This is a good place to start, but be sure to watch the fries as they cook.
French fries that are crisp and hot are great on their own but also taste delicious with a variety of toppings and dips. If in doubt, “you can never go wrong with classic ketchup,” says Diep.
- To spice up your side dish, you can add hot fries to a spice mixture. Use a barbecue sauce, chili powder or make your own.
- You can serve french fries with a variety of dipping sauces, such as honey mustard, spicy mayo, garlic aioli, and spicy ketchup.
- For a little salty crunch, add the crispy fries to a wrap or burrito.
- You can top the hot fries by adding nacho toppings, such as spicy ground beef, chopped steak, gooey mozzarella, pico verde, sour cream and guacamole.
Air fryers are great for heating frozen french fries quickly and with little cleanup. The air fryer should be preheated before you place the fries in the basket. The fry thickness will affect the cooking time. For example, thin fries such as shoestring may take longer to cook than thicker ones such as steak fries.