GABBY Petito’s date of death has been narrowed down as sniffer dogs try to smell out her missing fiancé Brian Laundrie.
According to the FBI, they are now seeking information from anyone who might have seen Petito at Spread Creek, where her body was discovered – between August 27 and 30.
In a statement, agents said: “The FBI…seek assistance from anyone who utilized the Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area between the dates of August 27-30, 2021, and who may have had contact with Gabrielle “Gabby” Petito or may have seen her vehicle.”
Gabby was last seen spotted leaving a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah on August 24.
She sent a final text to her mom on August 30, claiming: “No service in Yosemite.” But she said she doubted whether that message had actually been sent by Gabby.
It comes as an underwater recovery team has reportedly been called to the Carlton Nature Reserve in the hunt for Brian.
After returning to North Port, Florida, on September 1, without Gabby, he remains missing.
A preliminary autopsy report on Tuesday identified Gabby’s body and her death was reported as a homicide.
Police, FBI agents, and K9s started searching the 24,000-acre nature reserve during the weekend without success.
The latest news and updates can be found on our Gabby-Petito live blog.
However, on Wednesday divers with an underwater recovery team were called to the reserve, Sarasota Sheriff’s Office told a local reporter.
It comes as internet sleuths are peddling a wild conspiracy that Laundrie may be hiding on a boat to evade police.
The theory, which is gaining traction on Twitter, appears to be born out from an unfounded claim that Laundrie went live on Instagram for a matter of seconds on Monday.
Laundrie found the transit parked outside his parents’ house, where Petito and he had lived for two years.
After allegedly telling his family that he was planning to hike in the Mabry-Carlton Reserve, Laundrie was reported missing by his family.
Laundrie’s parents said that they drove his car home from a Florida wildlife reserve after he “failed to return from a hike” – days before they reported him missing.
On Monday, cops searched the home of Laundrie and bundled his parents into a police van after declaring the area a “crime scene.”
The FBI announced a “search warrant” twice before they removed Chris and Roberta Laundrie from the home. The parents were put in a van that was placed on their lawn.
Police also towed away Laundrie’s silver Mustang from his parents’ home.
Laundrie may have been driving the Mustang on Tuesday when he went for a hike in a nature reserve of 25,000 acres in Sarasota. This is the last time his family claims they saw him.
Laundrie’s parents reportedly told police they realized Brian hadn’t come back from his hike “on Wednesday or Thursday,” and that’s when they went to pick up the Mustang and drove it back to their home.
When asked by local reporter Brian Entin if Laundrie’s parents could be leading them in the wrong direction, police said they are “working to corroborate their story.”
“They did not say ‘we believe the parents or we know for sure that Brian was hiking in this reserve’,” shared Entin.
Gabby Petito timeline
Gabby Petito, 22, was last seen on August 24, leaving a hotel in Utah. Here is a timeline of Gabby Petito’s disappearance:
- June 2021 – Gabby Petito and her fiancé Brian Laundrie set off on a cross-country trip across the US.
- July 4 – Gabby posts photos of herself barefoot in Gove County, Kansas.
- July 8 – Gabby posts photos of herself at the Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado.
- July 18 – Gabby and Brian post photos of themselves at Utah’s Zion National Park.
- August 12 – Body camera footage was released in September showing an encounter Brian and Gabby had with police in Utah. There were no reports of serious injuries from police.
- August 19 – Gabby and Brian post a video on their YouTube channel chronicling their trip. The video is viewed more than 250,000 times.
- August 24 – Gabby is last spotted leaving a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- September 1 – Brian returns home to Florida without Gabby.
- September 11 – Gabby’s parents report her missing to Suffolk County police.
- September 15 – Florida’s North Port police announce Brian is a person of interest in the case. He has not been charged.
- September 16 – Utah police release body camera footage of the police encounter with Brian and Gabby.
- September 17 – Brian’s parents say they have not seen their son in a couple of days.
- September 18 – Police announce they were searching Carlton Reserve in Florida for Brian. Police say they haven’t found anything.
- September 19 – Authorities in Wyoming say they found a body in Grand Teton National Park. Although the FBI believes that the body is Gabby’s, a full forensic identification must be done before it can be confirmed.
- September 20 – Police execute a search warrant on Laundrie’s home, seizing his silver Mustang and a hard drive that may contain “evidence relevant to proving that a felony has been committed.”
- September 21 – Officials announce they will be conducting an autopsy on the remains found in Wyoming to confirm whether or not they belong to Gabby. Laundrie was also re-enlisted by police on the Venice side Carlton Reserve.
We pay for your stories.
Are you interested in submitting a story to The US Sun team?