Already, the World Cup in Qatar has been a great success.
Argentina were beaten 2-1 by Saudi Arabia and Germany lost out to Japan in two of the brightest moments from this year’s controversial event, which has been moved from summer to winter for the first time.
England has seen a remarkable turnaround, with the Three Lions putting in a great performance to defeat Iran 6-2.
Gareth Southgate’s side have the chance to make history at this year’s tournament, but how well do you know England’s World Cup history?
Sign up Get our Indy100 Weekly Newsletter for free
Click below to take the quiz and scroll down to get the answers.
Mike Hewitt/Getty Images
1. Who is England’s top scorer in world cups with 10 goals?
C) Michael Owen
2. Which team did England defeat in the only penalty shootout victory at a World Cup
3. Which penalty shootouts did they lose?
4. With 18 caps, who has been the England representative with most appearances at World Cups?
A) David Beckham
B) Wayne Rooney
5. What team has England suffered the worst loss in World Cups so far?
Evening Standard/Hulton Archive/Getty Images
Which country did England score their greatest win against, after they thrashed them 6-1
7. What was the last World Cup in which England did not qualify?
8. England won the 1966 World Cup at home, but what about the other teams that participated in it?
9. Which was England’s first World Cup?
10. England had 19 managers including the interims Peter Taylor, Stuart Pearce and Stuart Pearce. But how many non-English managers were there?
Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images
11. Which country was England defeated in the 2018 third-place playoff?
12. England won the Jules Rimet Trophy in 1966, but it was stolen before England could find it.
13. Many people remember England’s 1970 side being stronger than the winning side from 1966, but which team did they lose to in the quarter-finals that year?
D (West Germany
14. Gary Lineker, who scored six goals in 1986 to win the gold boot, won it. What was the name of the other England goal scorer in that tournament?
A) John Barnes
B) Peter Beardsley
C. Chris Waddle
15. The England team scored the fastest World Cup goal ever in 27 seconds against France.
B) Bryan Robson
C) Glenn Hoddle
D) Steve Coppell
Ross Kinnaird/Allsport via Getty
1. Gary Lineker
2. B) Colombia
3. B) 3
4. Peter Shilton
5. A) Brazil – 3 times
6. D. Panama
7. C) 1994
8. A) 16
9. D) 1950
10. A) 2 Fabio Capello & Sven Goran Eriksson
11. C) Belgium
13. D (West Germany
14. B) Peter Beardsley
15. B) Bryan Robson
Participate in the news democracy. You can click on the Upvote button at the top to raise the article in the ranks.