Category Archives: News

Harvey Weinstein Is A Disgrace To Humanity

by Angela Fortuna

The alleged unforgivable and inhumane acts of American film producer Harvey Weinstein have sparked media attention across the country.

The co-founder of The Weinstein Company allegedly committed sexual harassment crimes dating back nearly 30 years; these allegations came from actresses as well as former employees of the Weinstein Company and Miramax, the previous company that Harvey Weinstein and his brother founded, according to The New York Times.

Weinstein, a powerful film producer, stands accused of sexual misconduct by about two dozen women, including actress Rose McGowan, over the past few decades, according to NBC News.

McGowan tweeted Thursday afternoon regarding her own accusations against Weinstein.

“@jeffbezos I told the head of your studio that HW [Harvey Weinstein] raped me. Over and over I said it. He said it hadn’t been proven. I said I was the proof,” McGowan said in a tweet.

In response to McGowan’s tweet, Twitter temporarily deactivated her account.

McGowan used social media as a platform to inform others across the country of her own sexual harassment experience with Weinstein.

With the rise in popularity of social media, it is a good medium of communicating information with the public.

Other women allegedly affected by sexual harassment acts by Weinstein include Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow, Ashley Judd and others, according to Fox News.

“Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein. Mr. Weinstein has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances,” Weinstein’s spokeswoman has said in a statement, according to The Guardian.

The accusations against Weinstein conclude that women who were allegedly sexually harassed were too nervous to speak up about the incident at the time it happened.

Women who are victims of sexual harassment are often embarrassed and afraid to share their experiences because of how it will affect their personal lives.

Up to 94 percent of victims of sexual harassment do not file a complaint, while one in four women experience it, according to a report by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Speaking out about personal sexual harassment experiences can be a long and difficult process; however, it can be rewarding.

If a person affected by sexual harassment does not speak up about it, there is no way in knowing if that person will ever harass others. Keeping quiet about traumatizing events can cause mental instability for some people, like post traumatic stress disorder.

The allegations against Weinstein indicate that he may have abused his power on a variety of fronts over a few decades, and identify a behavioral pattern in which Weinstein often invites women to hotels for “business meetings,” only to make sexual advances against their will, according to VOX.

The newly discovered evidence of sexual harassment can be seen as similar to that of Bill Cosby: after one victim shares their experience, more victims seem to come out and share theirs with the public.

Bill Cosby has been accused of drugging and sexually harassing dozens of women, many of which testified against him during his trial. The Cosby trial was declared a mistrial back in June, according to U.S. News. No new information has been provided since then.

People like Weinstein and Cosby have allegedly committed acts that are unforgivable. If people do not come out and share personal experiences of sexual harassment, then these offenders will never realize what they are doing is wrong and no justice will be served to victims.

World News

by Sarah Willson

  • Connecticut remains the only state in the country without a budget. The 110-day ongoing crisis could cause even more towns to freeze spending and propose tax increases. According to Governor Dannel Malloy, the new budget, which was proposed on Monday, includes an additional $150 million in cuts. 
  • A “huge truck bomb blast” killed hundreds of people in Mogadishu, Somalia over the weekend, in what is said to be the “single deadliest attack ever in the nation.”
  • Officials say the “deadliest week of wildfires in California history” took place last week after nearly 6,000 buildings were destroyed and 36 people were killed, according to CNN. The fires continue to rage on through California’s wine country.
  • The United Kingdom is on high alert as Category 3 Hurricane Ophelia barrels towards Northern Ireland. The Met Office has warned of “potential danger to life.”
  • President Donald Trump has continued to hint that he will withdraw the United States from the Iran nuclear deal, a program created by President Barack Obama in 2015 with the goal to limit the country’s nuclear power. Despite this, Trump said he will prevent Iran from gaining “all paths to a nuclear weapon.”
  • Trump continued to praise the United States’ efforts in aiding Puerto Rico after Category 4 Hurricane Marie directly hit the island back in September. Trump said he and his administration have done “a great job” in helping repair the island but also commented that federal aid can not be in Puerto Rico “forever.”
  • The Trump administration announced last week that it will be ending cost-sharing substitutes, part of the Affordable Care Act, which help millions of low-income patients receive access to healthcare.
  • Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said on Sunday that “diplomatic efforts [with North Korea] will continue until the first bomb drops,” and that Trump is “not seeking to go to war.”
  • Former Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton made a statement that aired in an interview on Sunday that warned the U.S. to “Keep an eye on [Vladimir Putin] because he’s not done.”  This comes after the Central Intelligence Agency claimed that Putin hacked the 2016 U.S. presidential election late last year.
  • On Saturday, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences board voted to expel Harvey Weinstein’s membership from the group that presents Academy Awards. This comes after dozens of women claimed Weinstein sexually assaulted or raped them while working with him.
  • On Sunday, U.S.-backed forces launched their “final assault” on Islamic State (ISIS) militants in Raqqa, Syria.
  • Two ISIS leaders in Marawi, Philippines have been killed after a five-month siege.
  • Austrian conservative People Party candidate, 31-year-old  Sebastian Kurz, is on track to become Australia’s youngest national leader, according to BBC News.

Trump Administration Deserves The Multiple Lawsuits Filed Against Them

by Angela Fortuna

The Trump administration’s plan to halt key payments that lower health insurance deductibles and co-pays for families with modest incomes could affect millions of people across the country, according to CBS News.

Nearly 20 states have filed a lawsuit against President Donald Trump so far in accusation of Trump violating former President Barack Obama’s signature health care law as well as violations against a law that governs the way presidential administrations can establish new regulations, according to the Hartford Courant.

More than 40,000 people in Connecticut that already qualify for cost-sharing reduction payments will continue to receive them, but the move of the Trump administration is anticipated to further destabilize insurance markets with the brunt of any premium increases borne by higher-income Obamacare customers, which could lead people to choose to stop buying health insurance, according to the Hartford Courant.

“Insurers who sell Affordable Care Act plans — including Anthem and ConnectiCare in Connecticut — faced months of uncertainty over whether the Trump administration would continue the cost-sharing reduction payments, which offset the expense to insurers to sell silver-level plans with reduced deductibles and copays to low-income customers,” according to the Hartford Courant.

In response to the Trump administration’s decision, Trump tweeted “Very proud of my Executive Order which will allow greatly expanded access and far lower costs for HealthCare. Millions of people benefit!” on Oct. 14.

The tweet received a majority of negative comments regarding the executive order.

Twitter user Bishop Talbert Swan responded to Trump’s tweet saying “You’re proud of an order that will throw the insurance markets into chaos, take healthcare away from millions, and literally kill people?”

Another Twitter user, @DC_Resister_Bee, informed that Trump’s actions “will destabilize insurance markets and jeopardize access for people with cancer.”

Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy tweeted about the executive order, saying “this latest move to cut off cost-reduction subsidy payments is vindictive and deliberately designed to sabotage healthcare insurance markets.”

Trump has not tweeted about the nearly 20 states’ decision to file a lawsuit against him as of Monday night.

The Associated Press reported that nearly 70 percent of people hurt by proposed cuts to healthcare subsidies by the Trump administration live in states he won in the 2016 election.

Because of Trump’s disloyalty to his original supporters, the chance of getting reelected could be slim to none. By Trump disrespecting those who have respected him from the beginning, he could be losing a large support group if he decides to run for reelection in 2020.

With the Trump administration’s executive order to dismantle the Affordable Care Act, many individual states believe the decision is chaotic and illegal.

It should be common knowledge that a proposed executive order as such would violate a law that governs the way presidential administrations can establish new governance.

“Trump’s decision to stop ACA payments is nuclear grade bananas – a temper tantrum that sets the entire health system on fire. My god,” tweeted United States Senator Chris Murphy of Connecticut.

Individual states have made the decision to act on the unreliability of the proposed executive order by filing a lawsuit against the Trump administration.

Trump’s unprofessional behavior and lack of knowledge on the topic makes for an interesting sequence of events on the aftermath of the plan, and how each state in particular will react to the executive order.

SGA Bullets

by Sarah Willson

The Student Government Association meets every Wednesday at 3:05 p.m. in Bellin A and B in the Student Center.

  • The Central Connecticut State University Student Veteran Organization is asking for donations on the “Go Fund Me” website to help aid Puerto Rican hurricane victims by raising $5,000 to help with the rebuilding process. Anyone interested in donating should go to the website and search “SVO Hurricane Relief.”
  • The CCSU American Society of Civil Engineers has been denied their $7,500 base budget request by the SGA due to the fact that the club has already been funded for this year’s competitions.
  • The SGA committee report announced that $40,000 will be spent on scholarships for CCSU students during the 2017-18 school year.
  • The Central Golf Club’s request for an extra $2,000 was approved by the SGA due to the club’s considerable growth in size for the Fall 2017 semester.
  • The CCSU Art Club’s budget request of $8,000 was approved; however, the club will not receive funding for T-shirts due to budgetary restraints.
  • The next Good Neighbor Campaign event, an event that aims to foster a good relationship between CCSU students and New Britain residents, will take place on Oct. 27 at 9 a.m.

RECentral Director Retired

by Shaina Blakesley

After 33 years as an integral member of the Blue Devil family, Ken DeStefanis, director of RECental at Central Connecticut State University, has retired.

DeStefanis worked in the RECentral department for the last 12 years and officially retired on Friday, Sept. 29.

DeStefanis sent an email to all his student workers, thanking them for their hard work.

“I want to thank all of you for an outstanding experience. We are off to a great start this year,” DeStefanis wrote in his email to the RECentral staff.

Those who worked with DeStefanis said he made an impact on everyone around him; from his bad jokes to his positivity and compassion.

“We are all so thankful to him for having such an impact in all of our lives and I believe he will always be the face of RECentral,” said senior and elementary education major, Macie Leheny.

Leheny worked with DeStefanis for four years at RECentral; she began working for him as just a fitness center worker and eventually became an office manager.

Student staff workers are not the only ones who have changed their outlook on life and careers.

“He has made me a better person and professional staff. We hope to continue to grow the department and to improve on what Ken has built here at CCSU,” said assistant recreation director, Scott Kazar.

RECentral is an integral operation within the Division of Student Affairs at CCSU.

The purpose of RECentral is to support students and faculty in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. This is brought to Central students through recreation, fitness, club sports and intramural activities, much of which was possible because of DeStefanis’s work in RECentral.

“His legacy is RECentral because he put all of his sweat and tears into the program and built it to be all that it is today,” Leheny said.

DeStefanis enjoyed working as RECentral’s director and recreation specialist. His favorite aspect of his job is “providing opportunities for students to set better lifestyle behaviors in health and wellness,” according to DeStefanis.

Kazar is the new acting RECentral director, stepping up to bat once DeStefanis left for retirement. Kazar intends to continue on the same track that DeStefanis paved in years prior.

“I would like to continue the positive atmosphere that Ken has created and implement more structure to improve the program for the future,” Kazar said.

Leheny believes that Kazar will continue to excel as the acting director, but the RECentral office will be different without DeStefanis; she joked about the cleanliness and organization of the office now.

“I think we’ll all miss his corner stacked with every paper he ever touched over his 30-plus years here,” Leheny said jokingly.

DeStefanis brought many things to RECentral but both Leheny and Kazar relayed that they will miss his sense of humor. Kazar said he will hold on to the fond memories of DeStefanis’ stories and repetitive antics.

“No matter what time of day it was or what was going on in the office, I could always rely on him to lighten the mood and crack a joke that left people laughing. They weren’t always funny but we all couldn’t help but laugh anyway,” Leheny said.

RECentral will continue to grow and expand in the way DeStefanis hoped for when he started working for the department.

“RECentral is going to move forward bigger, better and stronger. Please continue to strive for greatness in your lives,” DeStefanis said.