by Ashley Arnesen
Do you love chocolate and are looking for a way to satisfy your sweet tooth without feeling totally guilty? Try this version of a healthy double chocolate banana cake. Even without the butter and oil, this recipe is still delicious and moist thanks to the applesauce and bananas.
If you really want to make this recipe healthy, try using coconut flour, unsweetened apple sauce, cacao powder and cacao chocolate chips.
- 3 medium ripe bananas (if you love bananas, feel free to add more)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Handful of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips for topping (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat an 8-inch pan with cooking spray. You can use any type of pan, but the cooking time will vary. If you decide to use a loaf pan, the cooking time will increase to about an hour.
2. Mash bananas and combine with brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
3. Add the applesauce, vanilla and a lightly beaten egg. Stir to combine.
4. Stir in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the chocolate chips and pour into pan.
5. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Inspired by a recipe from www.fridaycakenight.com.