Press "Enter" to skip to content

Women’s Soccer Streak Ends at Two


by Kimberly Pena

Central Connecticut State University’s Women’s Soccer team’s two-game winning streak came to an end on Thursday against Providence College with a 3-1 loss at the CCSU Soccer Field. The Blue Devils dropped to 2-7 for the season, while the Friars improved their record to 5-3-1.

Game action mostly took place in the first half, as all the goals were scored in the opening frame. Providence scored the first goal in the 17th minute when forward Rachel Ugolik assisted midfielder Kathryn Hiller with the first scoring shot, giving PC a 1-0 lead.

It didn’t take long for the Blue Devils to respond as they scored their first and only goal two minutes later. Freshmen Anya Bornstein scored after a long kick with an assist from Shauny Alterisio. This was Bornstein’s first career goal with Central.

However, the Blue Devils weren’t able to hold off the Friars’ offense, as they regained the lead with 15 minutes left in the half by a goal from senior Jill Clapp, assisted by sophomore Casey Estey. Estey scored Providence’s final goal with two minutes left in the opening frame. She overcame CCSU’s defense to get a shot in the 18-yard box, hitting the ball towards the right side of the net and giving PC a 3-1 lead that they wouldn’t relinquish.

Despite the lost, Coach Mick D’Arcy was proud of how the team responded in the second half by keeping a very good Providence team off the board and giving the Blue Devils at least a chance to get back into the game.

“On the second half we were just a little bit tighter defensively,” said D’Arcy. “We didn’t give them, you know, too many opportunities from there. I don’t think our goal keeper really had to make any good saves, it was a couple of easy saves for her.”

PC only had a 12-11 advantage in shots against Central. Goalkeeper Nicki Turley made five saves for CCSU after having back-to-back shutouts entering Thursday’s game.

Coach D’Arcy felt that the game allowed the Blue Devils to prove that they can compete against good teams, and that they can use this game to help move forward later in the season.

“I think we just played against a team that was in the Big East Final last year, that have a very good fight,” said D’Arcy. “We can prove to ourselves tonight that we can play with very good teams, be competitive and with better luck, I think maybe we could have got a result today. In all fairness, it was against a very good team and I think we can take some little bit of satisfaction that we were able to not only hold them, but generate chances against them as well.”

The Blue Devils faced a scare in the second half when sophomore Danielle Pearse was hit in the face by the ball and seemed fazed while lying on the field for about two minutes. She left the game soon thereafter; it is unknown if she suffered any serious injury.

Thursday’s game was their second game at home in the middle of their six-game home stretch. The team will play their next game on Sunday against Cornell at the CCSU Soccer Field.